Lately, it feels like I cannot swing a fox without hitting someone who is taking up “The Three Peaks Challenge”. For those of you who do not know, it is when climbers take on climbing three mountains in a certain amount of hours depending on the mountains of their choice. I know three people who are looking to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge in 2017 as part of their New Year’s resolutions. Awesome and insane!
Although I can admire my physically fit and fearless friends, my aspirations are a bit more grounded, as it were. I have decided that each of my mountain climbing friends will receive a pair of socks! However, in all my years of knitting I have never learnt to knit socks. Therein lies my challenge!
This brings me to the latest and greatest knitting class at Yankee Yarns. The Sock Clinic! Anyone who takes this course will come away with their own sock template and pattern to make bespoke socks for anyone on their sock wearing list.
The Sock Clinic is two consecutive Saturdays, 4th and 11th February from Noon to 2 pm. The first session covers starting the sock at the toe, how to shape it and working it up to the heel. The second session covers short row shaping heel. Each class is limited to six people. If you book the two Saturdays in a block, it costs £30. If you only want to book one Saturday session, it costs £20. The Sock Clinic includes 1 skein of Head Over Heels wool by Stylecraft in your choice of 6 colours:
- EVEREST 3098
- KILIMANJARO 3099
- MATTERHORN 3100
- FUJI 3101
- OLYMPUS 3102
- EIGER 3103
You will have to bring your own 2.5mm circulars or DPNs but there will be needles available for purchase at the session. Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided.
These sessions are also available to buy as a gift voucher for that knitter on your Christmas list!
There will be future sessions in March, April and November. Please keep checking the Yankee Yarns Calendar of Events tab for the confirmed dates.
Once you have rocked on knitting socks, we’d love to see them. We will even post them up in our gallery! Let’s get clicking.
Check out these Socks Fun Facts we found!!!
- The oldest known socks were found in Egypt and date back to between the years 250 and 420.
- The word sock came into Old English from the Latin soccus, a loose-fitting shoe or slipper. The modern meaning arrived around 1400.
- Albert Einstein never wore socks. He gave them up as a child, annoyed at the holes made by big toes.
- A thousand-year-old Viking sock from Coppergate, York was included among the BBC’s 100 items that tell the History Of The World.
- The Merry Wives Of Windsor is the only Shakespeare play that mentions socks.